Servings 5; Serving size: 2 pieces
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 2 hours to drain tofu and 2 hours to marinate tofu
Cooking time: 10 minutes
2 (1 lb) blocks extra-firm lite tofu
1 cup low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp lite soy sauce*
1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
2 tsp sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp grated peeled ginger
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 tsp arrowroot
2 tsp water
20 wooden skewers, soaked for 1 hour in warm water
1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup sliced green onions
*This recipe is a bit over the guidelines for sodium. To keep it in check, use the lowest-sodium soy sauce you can find.
- Wrap the blocks of tofu in two layers of paper toweling. Place the tofu on a plate. Place another plate on top and then place a weight on the top plate (a heavy pan will do). Let the tofu press for about 1 to 2 hours, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Remove the paper toweling from the tofu, and drain all the excess water. Pat the tofu dry. Slice the tofu into e-inch-thick slices, 10 in all.
- In a bowl, mix together the broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, Splenda blend, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and orange zest. Whisk well. Arrange the tofu in a shallow baking dish. Pour the marinade over the tofu, and let marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Turn the tofu slices about halfway through the soaking time.
- Remove the tofu from the baking dish, and set on a large cutting board. Strain the marinade, and add it to a saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil. Combine the arrowroot and water, and mix well. Add to the strained marinade, and cook until thickened. Set aside. Coat an outdoor grill well with cooking spray; set the temperature to high heat.
- Using two skewers per slice of tofu spaced evenly, slide the skewers through the tofu, with only the tips of the skewers extending through one end of the tofu. The other side should have a good length of skewer for holding onto while turning the tofu on the grill.
- Put the tofu on the grill, and grill on one side for about 4 minutes, basting with some of the reserved marinade. Turn and grill the tofu for another 4 minutes; continue to baste with the reserved marinade. Remove the tofu to a platter, and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
2 Lean Meat
Calories From Fat: 35
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 625 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 6 g
Protein: 15 g